Home Marine Invertebrates Sponge Species Profiles Breadcrumb Sponge
Quick Care Facts
• Care Level: Difficult • Temperament: Peaceful • Maximum Size: Varies
• Diet: Omnivore • Aquarium Level: Substrate & Rocks • Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallons
• Reef Compatible: Yes • Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
• Supplements: None • Coloration: Tan, Orange
• Origin: Indian Ocean • Family: Axinellidae • Species: Sponges
Help Support AquariumDomain!
• Your support keeps AquariumDomain advertisement free, lightning fast and fully optimized for both mobile and desktop browsing.
• Visit our Patreon page to learn about the exclusive benefits our Patrons receive!
Native Habitat and Species Information
Breadcrumb Sponge native habitat, distribution, behavior & aquarium compatibility.
The Breadcrumb Sponge is also commonly refereed to as the Elephant Ear Sponge. The Breadcrumb Sponge and other members of its genus are usually red, orange, or yellow. The Breadcrumb Sponge has a trunk-like base with many perforations, and it shape will vary based on aquarium factors.
How to successfully keep Breadcrumb Sponge in the home aquarium.
The Breadcrumb Sponge needs a moderate to strong water current to provide it with filter feeding opportunities, but be careful to place the sponge slightly out of the path so that it only receives an indirect current. The lighting should be low, and the water quality will need to be kept within pristine parameters. All sponges require excellent water quality and should only be kept in reef aquariums, where excellent water quality and stability are assured.
All Acanthella sponges require very special care to survive in the home aquarium, with the most critical concern is that the Acanthella Sponge should never be exposed to the air. If it is, the air becomes trapped in the matrix of channels that line the inside of its body, and with air blocking the path for planktonic food to reach its cells, it will die.
Feeding & Nutrition
How to feed and provide proper nutrition for Breadcrumb Sponge.
The Breadcrumb Sponge is a filter feeder and will require daily feedings of plankton substitutes and dissolved organic foods. Waterflow, placement and proper placement of dissolved organic foods is very important to the overall health of the Breadcrumb Sponge.
Click or Tap Photos below for Full Size Photos
Click or tap the images below to view full size images, then click or tap off the image to shrink again.