Bryan
My son has a 110 gallon saltwater aquarium with a sump style filtration system and protein skimmer. We are curious what the plant in the sump next to the Chaeto is? He got it from his friends tank and it has grown to about double in size in about 3 weeks. Just curious what it is and to make sure it is good to have.
Here it is
Appreciate any replies.
AD Admin
You have Caulerpa Taxifolia, which is a fast growing (invasive) species of Caulerpa macro algae. Between the Caulerpa Taxifolia and the Chaetomorpha Algae, you have probably the best two macro algae for exporting nutrients out of a marine aquarium environment.
While Caulerpa Taxifolia is great in a a sump, it can be a real problem if it gets into the main tank as it grows like a weed and attaches to rock and corals. However, if you keep it in the sump, provide plenty of high intensity lighting, 12 to 14 hours a day with something in the 5,500 to 7,600 kelvin range, you will find that it grows very quickly. Then simply prune it and remove the pruned clippings from the sump, which will help greatly in keeping nitrates and phosphates to low levels.
We have a species profile in the works for this species and I will update this thread with the link to it under the "Marine Plant Profiles" section of our Species Profiles database once done in case you want to read more about it.
-AD Admin
AD Admin
We have updated our Species Profiles database with a profile for Caulerpa Taxifolia Algae. Search for "Caulerpa Taxifolia Algae" under Species Profiles or you can find it under Species Profiles -> Marine Plant Species.
Hope this helps,
AD Admin
Last update on February 16, 11:38 am by AD Admin.
Bryan
We have updated our Species Profiles database with a profile for Caulerpa Taxifolia Algae. Search for "Caulerpa Taxifolia Algae" under Species Profiles or you can find it under Species Profiles -> Marine Plant Species.
Hope this helps,
AD Admin
Hey thanks for the reply and the profile write up, hope you didn't rush that out just for me :laughing:
AD Admin
Glad the profile helped, we have a lot of profiles that are partially completed. Decided to take this one and get it done for you :-)
-AD Admin