AD Admin
Last year I setup a 40 breeder as a grow out tank for some new Cichlids that purchased. I raised the fish up in the 40 breeder for about 8 months and then transferred them over to the my 180 gallon.
Since then the 40 breeder has been without fish and just kinda growing algae and a couple of Amazon swords.
It wasn't long after I moved the fish out that the cheapo Sun Sun canister filter began to leak at the top seal and the glass cover over the UV light. I took down the broken canister filter and added a small aqua clear filter just to keep the tank running.
Long story short I am going to revamp the tank, clean it all up add some good filtration and see what I can turn it into...and of course document the journey in this thread.
Here are some pics I took of the current state of the tank ( the discolored water and dust everywhere is from the fluorite substrate that was never properly washed)
Broken Sun Sun canister
Fluorite dusted messy tank after scraping blue-green algae from the glass
Big Amazon sword covered in fluorite dust
Lovely slime algae on glass
Little aqua clear filter will be retired for a much more robust filter
Much more to come...stay tuned!
Jay
subscribed
Gary Wayne
What kind of freshwater fish are you going to put in there? Is it still a grow out tank?
AD Admin
Don't want to give away the surprise yet, but I will keep the thread updated with plenty of photos. I did some major cleaning last night and the new filter arrives today, so hopefully I will be able to put together a big update tonight with lot's of pics.
Fish stocking shouldn't be too far away as the tank is primarily cycled...minus the new filter.