Stu
Hi all,
Just setup a new tank for some Malawi Cichlids. Does anyone have any tips? Especially for planting?
So far so good. Had them for about a month. Can anyone tell me how to sex them? Is it correct the males are blue and the juvenile and females are yellow? How can I tell which of the yellow ones will be female?
I've had various degrees of success with my tropical reproducing but wondered about Cichlids.
Jay
Malawi Cichlids are fun fish, I have kept them many times and will again in the future.
In regards to sexing them, most malawi Cichlids are dimorphic (male/female have different colors) so pretty much just find the fish here on Aquarium Domain or google it and see which color is male and which is female. Mbuna will show their colors when very young, but some species of haps and peacocks won't show their adult colors until later on in life...upwards of 2 years old sometimes.
For species where the males and females have the same color it is best to look for egg spots on the lower caudual fins, as some species only the male will have them and then other species only the femail will have them.
There are some other species that none of these methods will work to sex them, so it is best to read an Internet profile on them for sexing advice specific to that species.
What species are you keeping?
AD Admin
Many common aquarium plants can become conditioned to living in high pH hard water environments like that of an African Cichlid tank. However, some species adjust better than other, Anubias, Val, Dwarf Sag, most Sword plants will do quite well.
When aquascaping an African Cichlid tank it is important to create a scape that doesn't allow a single dominant fish to control the whole scape...ie. a single cave or single rock formation. It is best to create a scape that flow the width of the tank and has more crevices and jutting rock and less caves.
Hoper this helps....also would love to see pics of your tank when you get it up and running!
Cao Nguyen
I would likes to see photos of this aquarium! I never had these cichlids but I thinks they are very pretty fish and like them very much