Liz Nieves
Hi Everyone, My friend tried to keep an African Cichlid with his South American Cichlids and it didn't go well :frowning:
My husband and I have a African lake cichlid aquarium so my friend has given us the fish to keep. In a very short amount of time this new fish has become the leader of the tank. Not too aggressive that we can't keep him, but certainly the top dog in the tank.
My question is what kind of fish is this and is it OK to keep him with a mix of Malawi & Victoria lake Cichlids?
Thanks, Lizzy
Here is a photo of the newcomer
AD Admin
Hey Liz, Welcome to AquariumDomain.com!
It looks like your friend has given you a juvenile male Nimbochromis livingstonii, or Livingston's Cichlid, also sometimes called a Sleeper Cichlid since they will lay on the substrate faking death to try and lure small fish near them to eat them.
They originate from Lake Malawi and males usually get about 10 inches in length. They are a little bit aggressive and feed on small fish, so you will need tank mates that won't fit in his mouth. Also you will need a decent sized tank for an adult, I would think and 6 foot tank will do (125, 150, 180, etc.).
They can change their colors quite a bit with adult males showing very brilliant blue and green colorations and orangish anal and dorsal fin markings. I will add this fish to our Species profile to do list to give you another source of information and photos of this fish.
-AD Admin
Liz Nieves
Thank you! I did a little bit of research on my own and wasn't sure if I had a Livingston Cichlid or one called a Giraffe Cichlid. My husband says that our aquarium is 150 gallons and that we also have a sump that can hold 20 gallons. So far the newcomer is top dog in the tank, but is not hurting or harassing the other fish too much.
I will keep an eye out for your new profile on this fish and certainly read it when it comes out, thanks for your reply and for hosting this great website!