Bryan
Ok, enough of these planted aquarium build threads with the little fishes :smiley: and time for a South/Central Cichlid aquarium build!
I have been itching to setup another tank in the fish room for some Oscars and assorted other Cichlids and decided to convert a 125 gallon that I was using for a sump back into a display aquarium. Working on cleaning up the tank now and leveling up an old 2x4 stand tonight and hopefully aquascaping and filling sometime later this week......many photos to come!
Stay tuned!
Daryl Dawkins
Your tank is off to a good start! I am following this build closely since I am thinking of doing something very similar. Waht size is that oscar? how old is it?
Bryan
Your tank is off to a good start! I am following this build closely since I am thinking of doing something very similar. Waht size is that oscar? how old is it?
Thanks Admin & Jay for good words. Daryl sorry I missed your post, my Oscar is about 5 months old and is probably around 8" long. He is a little bit of a strange Oscar, very easy going never bothers other fish he has been kept with and even a gentle eater. He approaches the food very casually and eats it, not like many Oscars who attack the food.
Last update on November 3, 9:15 am by Bryan.
Jay
Has this tank doing Bryan? Any updates?
Bryan
Not a whole lot has changed, mostly breaking the tank in and getting it fully cycled. I changed out the wood and rearranged the rock and wood some. I am planning to pickup some more fish soon and I will update the thread once I do.
Jay
Good deal, looking forward to seeing the evolution of this tank. I need something to scratch my SA Cichlid itch since I can't setup any new tanks right now.
Bryan
I started a grow out tank for some new future additions to the 125 Gallon tank. Here is the link to the new thread with pics of the new fish that will be going in this tank: https://www.aquariumdomain.com/adSocial/index.php/forum/thread/23/40-breeder-growout-for-my-125-gallon/
I am also going to update this thread as well, I have done some new aquascaping and will update with some new pics as soon as I can.
Last update on November 28, 10:57 am by Bryan.
AD Admin
Hey Bryan!
Any updates on the 125 gallon or your grow out tank?
Bryan
Hey Bryan!
Any updates on the 125 gallon or your grow out tank?
Some bad news first, my Albino Red Oscar jumped out of the tank and died. :tired_face: I was so pissed when I came home from work and found him. I was literally picking up a cover for the tank that week.
Anyways I have the cover now so that bullshit won't happen again, I am mad at myself since I have kept Cichlids a long time and no better than to not cover a tank.
I have rescaped the tank with different wood and moved things around a bit. Tank is running good and I am now going to move the fish from the grow out tank into the 125 since I don't have my big Oscar anymore.
Here are some pics of the tank right now (just 2 Geos) and I will take some more pics once I move the fish from the grow out into the 125.
Jay
Sorry to hear about the jumper :-( New scape looks good, the Malaysian driftwood is probably better for the big Cichlids you are going to keep. Any plans for some plants to soften up the scape?
Bryan
Thanks Jay. The spiderwood looked cool but isn't the best choice for Oscars lol, my Oscar would knock it over all the time. I have tried some live plants multiple times but they got shredded by the fish or didn't take to the tank. I am thinking to just do some high quality fake plants, but not totally sure yet.
Bryan
I moved the 2 baby Oscars and baby Electric Blue Texas Cichlid in with the 2 Redhead Tapajos Geophagus in the 125 last night. I am gonna head to the big fish store where I live this Friday and hopefully round out the stock with a few more baby Cichlids, Pleco and let them all grow up together.
Checked on them this morning and everybody has acclimated well to their new bigger home. Here are some pics....
Jay
Pics look great! They look very happy in there! :-)
AD Admin
Nice update Bryan! I appreciate you taking the time to post the pics...a pic really is worth a 1000 words!
I bet they are loving the new tank with all those nooks and crannies you have made for them to explore in the wood and rock. I think you are spot on with getting the full tank stock as babies and bringing them up together.
I have done this will my salt tanks and been able to keep groups of full size angels and tangs that would normally not tolerate each other, but they grew up together, had plenty of swimming room and were well fed and everything worked out great...and still is with the tank now in its 7th year!
Bryan
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays everyone!
Christmas came early for me as I picked up the rest of the stock for my 125! I purchased another Tiger Oscar, 2 more Redhead Tapajos Geophagus, Jack Dempsey, Spotted Severum and a Gold Severum. Only other fish I plan to get for the tank are a pair of Bristlenose Pleco.
Everybody is small right now and I am going to grow them all out together in the 125 for the near future, with plans to move them all to a larger plywood aquarium that I am in the process of building.
Here are a couple of pics of the tank and new fish!
AD Admin
Merry Christmas!
Another great update and pics! Going to be fun to follow this tank as everybody grows up and the tank evolves. Oh yeah, the new tank additions look great.